Majo Anime

Sunday, May 6, 2012

My sister and Princess Tutu

Princess Tutu
The other day I was watching my nine year old sister and three year old brother. My sister was bored and playing games on the computer. Well I'd watched Princess Tutu a while ago and had thought of her since she recently started taking dance classes. So I looked it up on NetFlix and just put it on in the background as something to listen to while I took care of the toddler. I wanted something appropriate for kids to watch while it still being something I liked as well. I'd kind of done it intentionally just to see if she would like it, but for the most part I just wanted something I was familiar with and could enjoy again while I played with my brother.

Well by the time the second episode came on, my sister was off the computer and glued to the couch, her eyes wide in interest. Made me think of how I must have looked to my mom when she introduced me to my first anime, Sailor Moon. She was commenting on what was going on, excited to see what would happen next.

When the pizza I'd ordered arrived, she was still watching and kept trying to turn around in her chair at the dinning room table to be able to watch more. And I knew she was enjoying it, since normally nothing holds her attention for long. My little brother actually settled down a few times as well to sit and watch, pointing out the duck every time Ahiru turned into it.

Whenever an episode ended and I asked if she wanted to watch more, she kept saying yes. So we watched about five episodes before I decided it was time to stop. She actually whined a little bit at me. In which case I told her we'd watch more in a couple weeks when she's staying with me while our parents are on vacation.

I, instead, asked her what she liked about it. I like it because the story was cute and I think the animation is very well done, but I wanted her opinion of it. She said she liked that it was funny and how Ahiru kept turning into a duck and various other characters being animals. And she liked that it had ballet in it.

As soon as out parents got there, she started telling them about what I'd been watching. Which of course got a raised eye-brow from my dad when I told him the title was Princess Tutu. He repeated Princess Tutu at me and I told him it was an anime I'd thought she might like, then had her tell them what it was about instead of me.

Before I left to come home, she asked again if we could watch more when I have her in a couple week, to which again I told her yes.

It was so neat to get to share my hobby with someone I love and see that awed look that must have been there for me all those years ago and probably still is when I watch some new anime I absolutely love.

No comments:

Post a Comment