Majo Anime

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Start of Obsession

Well last time I gave advice on how to pick your first anime. This time I'm going to tell you a bit about my first animes, and what has continued my obsession.


Like several people out there, my first animes included Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. Now I was more into Sailor Moon, being a young girl at the time, but my brother watched DBZ, and so I was exposed to it even if I barely paid it any attention at the time. I'm not a morning person, but I'll be damned if I wasn't up every morning to watch Sailor Moon after the first time my mom woke me up to show it to me. She'd been up getting ready for work and happened to see this, and probably thought it was something I might like. And she was right! I was up an hour earlier than needed just to see it every day, and that started everything.


My next few animes included anything that was shown on Cartoon Network's Toonami, and Adult Swim at the time. These included Gundam Wing, and Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop, Inu Yasha, and Outlaw Star. 


Now while Sailor Moon got me started, Gundam Wing is where my obsession really took off. And to this day, it still holds a special place in my heart. I loved the animation style and adored the characters. It's also because of this series that I got into yaoi - although Sailor Moon may have had a hand in that since in the Japanese version Zoicite is male, but I didn't know that at the time. Now I'm not going to start a war that yaoi is or isn't in Gundam Wing, all I'm say is that this is where MY obsession started, just because of how I saw things and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.


After this, Cartoon Network, slowly began removing anime from there line up. So I was forced elsewhere for my fixes. Luckily I had a friend who was also into anime and she got me watching Weiss Kruez Knight Hunters, and Gravitation. She also turned me from watching in dubs to watching with subs. Again not starting any wars, I still watch dubbed anime, just mostly prefer subbed when I can sit and watch it.


From there, I got recommendations from the small group of friends I made in the anime community. When I went to visit a few of them in Australia, they introduced me to so much I couldn't wait to get the chance to finish all of them. These included, Fushigi Yuugi - which is still one of my favorites to this day - Initial D, Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, Kurogani Communication, Sorcerer Hunters, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind  and probably a few more that I can't think of. 


Things just kind of took off from there to anything I could get my hands on. A few times I would drop something or just from seeing a little bit decide it wasn't for me. There have been times when I bought a series without knowing anything about it, other that I thought it was 'pretty.' And there have been times when I couldn't get anything, whether from not having money, or not having internet, but still my obsession stayed with me until this day. And being that I'm almost thirty and still watching anime whenever I get the chance, it's unlikely now that I'll ever stop.


And that is pretty much how one morning of being woken up incredibly early by my mom turned into a life long obsession, probably something she never saw coming and may have even regretted a few times over the years.


Until Next Time



No comments:

Post a Comment